When skin lacks enough fluids to keep it going, it becomes dehydrated, more so for the skin around the eyes which is the thinnest and most delicate.
When your skin becomes dehydrated some of the common signs are that the skin around the eyes becomes itchy, puffy, dark, and dull.
Besides, some skin care concerns begin to worsen when the skin no longer has enough moisture to help it stay healthy and functional.
What Causes Dehydration Around the Eyes?
The causes for dehydration are quite a number, the most notable are;
- Poor Diet– the skin around your eyes reflects what you eat. If your diet is packed with all the essential nutrients, the skin around the eyes appears radiant and healthy. If your diet is full of junk foods, then dehydration is a likely occurrence.
- Drinking Little Water– apart from diet, your water intake affects not only the area around the eyes but also the whole body. Not drinking enough water causes dehydration.
- Harsh Weather– harsh weather conditions such as sunlight, wind, and rain can all impact on the skin around the eyes. During these harsh conditions, humidity is low which leaves the skin dehydrated.
- Alcohol and Caffeine– these two popular culprits are major dehydrators. If taken in large amounts, the eyes become dehydrated.
- Eye Skin Stress– this entails regular rubbing and touching of the eyes, reapplying makeup too often, and using dirty makeup brushes.
- Using Harsh Products– products with harsh chemicals can strip the eye area from its natural oils leaving it dehydrated.
- Smoking– tobacco in cigarettes restricts hydration of the skin around the eyes thus aggravating under eye puffiness and dark circles.
Signs and Symptoms of Dehydrated Skin around Eyes
The telltale signs of dehydrated eye area include;
- Dark circles
- Under eye puffiness
- Frown Lines
- Conspicuous fine lines and wrinkles
Best Solution for Dehydrated Skin around Eyes
Now that we have looked into the causes as well as signs and symptoms of dehydrated skin around the eyes, lets delve into the solution for dehydration.
- Improve your diet– to achieve a bright and healthy skin around the eyes, you have to enhance your diet. Incorporate hydrating fruits and vegetables such as watermelon and cucumbers. Go for antioxidant rich foods as well as foods rich in omega 6 fatty acids such as salmon and nuts.
- Enhance your water intake– to keep your eye area hydrated, you need to up your water drinking habits. Instead of taking a soda for instance, go for a glass of water which will not only hydrate your eye area but also provide anti-aging benefits. Apart from that, drinking lots of water keeps dark circles at bay.
- Protect yourself from harsh weather conditions– while you have no control over the weather, you have control over how it will affect your skin. If it is sunny outside, slather your sunscreen before stepping out and when it is windy, don’t forget your hat, gloves, and scarf.
- Reduce your alcohol and caffeine– as we mentioned earlier, these two drinks are culprits that cause dehydration. For that reason, it is important that you cut your intake for a brighter and plump eye area.
- Manage eye skin stress– address the itching that compels you to rub your eyes frequently by visiting a dermatologist. In addition, be vigilant in cleaning your makeup brushes before using them on the skin around your eyes. Also avoid reapplying makeup too often as it also contributes to eye stress.
- Opt for mild eye products– since the skin around the eyes is delicate, mild eye products are the best option. Settle for products with super hydrators such as hyaluronic acid and antioxidants. While retinol has antiaging benefits, it may cause dehydration thus it is better to avoid it.
- Layer your eye products– once you have picked out which products suit you, it is important to understand how to use them together. The rule of thumb is to always start with a lightweight product like serum followed by a moisturizer which will help protect the skin barrier. After this you can then apply a heavier product like an eye cream.
- Short, warm showers only– when the temperature drops, it is tempting to take a long hot shower which is not a good idea if you want to prevent dehydration. Opt for short, warm showers and your eye are will remain radiant and hydrated.
- Quit smoking– this is a lifestyle change that may not be easy to follow through, however, it is necessary. When you stop smoking, blood circulation improves thus hydrating the skin around the eyes is enhanced. As a result, puffiness and dark circles are cleared.
How to Repair Dehydrated Skin around Eyes
If you have not been keen about your eye area, there is still hope. You can revive the skin around eyes with eye creams that have been approved by dermatologists and ophthalmologists to ensure their safety. When shopping for these eye creams, go for;
- Ingredients like aloe vera, antioxidants, ceramides, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, and squalene.
- Simple formulas that do not contain harsh chemicals, strong fragrances, dyes, or preservatives.
Some of the best hydrating eye creams include;
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Gel Cream– this cream is rich in hyaluronic acid. It is lightweight, non-comedogenic, and free from dyes, fragrances, and oils.
- CeraVe Eye Repair Cream– this formula contains a blend of antioxidants, ceramides, jojoba, and hyaluronic acid. This eye cream is also hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic.
- Cetaphil Hydrating Eye Gel-Cream– this cream is formulated with hyaluronic acid, vitamins and licorice extracts. Also, hypoallergenic thus suitable for users with sensitive under eyes.
- Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Crème
Dehydration of the skin around the eyes is caused by a number of factors including; poor diet, drinking little water, harsh weather, alcohol and caffeine, eye skin stress, using harsh products, and smoking. While having dehydrated skin around the eyes is not a pleasant experience, it is exciting to learn that there are solutions for it.
Lifestyle changes such as a healthy diet, improving water intake, and quitting smoking are great solutions for maintaining moisture around the eye area. If still battling with dehydration after improving your lifestyle, over the counter eye creams could solve this problem for you. For sensitive users, it is better to check with your dermatologist before purchasing any product.
Be the first to comment